Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday snippets

Well, a whole week has come and gone, and not one entry got posted. Herewith, the things I could have written about, had I not been distracted by something shiny:

Masonry. I'm still searching for the meaning of the pin mentioned in the last entry, Talisman. I can't find another like it anywhere on websites selling Masonic jewelry. There are 33 seed pearls, probably for the 33 degrees in Masonry. The inverted horns may refer to Seshat, Egyptian goddess of wisdom, writing, architecture and mathematics. She was the divine measurer and scribe, assisting the Pharaoh in temple building, so it may be some kind of pin for the scribe's office. Or, it could be a Shriner symbol. There actually is a pin made to be worn by female relatives of Masons when they travel, but that is the blue slipper pin. So the mystery continues.

Paris Hilton. She is going to Rwanda to call attention to the suffering there? Give me a freaking break. Hey Paris, here's a clue: The rest of us already heard about it. How about taking the money you'd spend on your entourage for this trip and just giving it to aid workers on the ground, who can actually use it to help people? Better yet, send them what you spend on handbags in a month. That should pretty much fix the whole place.

'The Office' season premier. I used to love the show. But putting a live cat in a freezer to die in pain and terror is not funny in any way, shape or form. I don't know why cruelty to cats is so often considered humorous. Would the writers have put a dog in the freezer? A child, perhaps? I don't think so. And I won't be tuning in again any time soon.

Ewwwwwww. There is a murderous amoeba living in lakes and streams that gets up your nose and attacks your brain, "where it feeds until you die." Six deaths so far this year.

Glasses. I need new ones. Because it turns out that the plants I've been secretly watering at work are fake.

And that's all, folks.

No comments: