Sunday, May 02, 2010

Macro Monday: The Best Things Are Free

Viola

A flower was offered to me,
Such a flower as May never bore;
But I said "I've a pretty rose tree,"
And I passed the sweet flower o'er.

Then I went to my pretty rose tree,
To tend her by day and by night;
But my rose turned away with jealousy,
And her thorns were my only delight.

-- My Pretty Rose Tree, William Blake


Violas have escaped from someone's flower basket or border, slipping away to dance in the grass.

The number of deer and groundhogs in my area make flower gardening impossible. However, all is not lost. The woods and fields abound with wildflowers, and I spend many happy hours finding and photographing them. They are tiny, most of them, and seem so impossibly fragile. Yet they thrive, needing nothing from me, and they are riches aplenty.

Sometimes, even leaves are a treasure.

Lady's Mantle

*Note to LifesHighway: This one's for you. Sorry about the spider. ;-)


For more close-up photography, visit Lisa's Chaos: Macro Monday.

23 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

Love the little volunteers that pop up here and there in the yard.

Anonymous said...

Lovely images Vicki. I think both are award winners suitable for a place of honor on your wall.

Kerri Farley said...

Love the poem you chose. And I LOVE the images! So glad I found your blog!! Happy Macro Monday!

Jama said...

I love looking for wildflowers too, but ours here are not as pretty as yours.

Ladynred said...

O love wildflowers. They are beautiful.

Kala said...

The shallow depth of field is lovely in the image of the viola.

Jayne said...

So pretty. I love Rebecca's description of 'little volunteers'. I too like the way flowers seed and grow randomly in a garden.

Jane said...

Love the shot with the water on the leaves, thanks for sharing:)

Puna said...

That leaf is a treasure!

EG CameraGirl said...

Lovely macros. I love the way water beads up on the leaves!

margie said...

great macros. the water/green leaf is beautiful.

Hootin Anni said...

Yes, yes!! The best things in life ARE free. Beautiful viola image.

My macro is one of the best things in life....my grandson's teeny tiny hand at age 1.

Stop by if you can, I'd love your company today.

Daniela said...

Lovely, love the second one.

Daryl said...

Gorgeous .. every Monday I have macro envy

Anonymous said...

Great watery leaves and the violas are so sweet! :)

Beppan said...

I love the shy violas!! :-)

Bettey said...

Love your water dropplets!!!

Kim, USA said...

It feel so good, that the best thing is life is FREE! Happy Monday!

MacroMonday~Teacup

Unknown said...

I love violas! They are so delicate and dainty. ;) And I love your photos! The drops on the leaf - nice!

jay said...

Lady's Mantle always holds drops well, doesn't it? And I love violas! :)

chasity said...

little viola's have the sweetest faces. great photos~
love the rain droplets.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow...really beautiful... Hmmm..I just remembered how much deer like tulips....I will have to see if any have been eaten....Michelle

Johnny Nutcase said...

gorgeous ones!! i love those drops! and that flower is a beauty!