Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Just doing my duty

Last year I committed to writing monthly about living with diabetes, just to keep myself in line. For me, it's like the weekly weigh-in at Weight Watchers. I've skipped a couple of months and, sure enough, I have slid back into mostly ignoring it. The disease is so easy to forget when you don't have any symptoms. Add to that the temptations of the holidays and the desire to enjoy all the goodies like everyone else, and you have a recipe for trouble.

I've stopped testing again, but will start again tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure the news won't be good, and I doubt my cholesterol levels went down over the past couple of months. I did not keep my appointment in December for a blood test. Really, what was the point, considering?

I'm still doing the daily cinnamon and oatmeal breakfast, and taking metformin. I ditched the Avandia and Vytorin because of the side effects. Of course, now they're saying that Vytorin actually makes things worse, so good riddance to that one.

I've switched vitamins to Centrum Cardio, which is supposed to reduce cholesterol, and I take fish oil once a day. Tried soy milk. Hated it. If spiders gave milk, that's what it would taste like.

We've just bought an elliptical trainer, which should help with exercise, and I pack myself a healthy lunch for work. Family dinner and evening munchies are still my downfall. Those and chocolate.

And so it goes.

No comments: