Thursday, July 24, 2008

Goodbye, Golden Girl

Dorothy: [Sophia is busily cooking] Ma, what are you doing? You're supposed to be resting. Remember what the doctor said?
Sophia: Dorothy, I'm feeling anxious. And when I feel anxious, there's only one thing that calms me down.
Dorothy: I know, Ma. Cooking a big meal.
Sophia: No, making hot naked love in a closet. But hey, you do what you can.


Estelle Getty passed away this week. I knew her only as Sophia, the irascible, sarcastic and hysterically funny octogenarian of Golden Girls. Sophia's best lines were zingers, but there was more to her than that.

In her best episodes, she gave voice to the forbidden thoughts and fears about growing old and dying--and about alternately adoring one's grown children and wanting to kick their shins. Through it all, scrappy, sharp little Sophia was full of life, a force of nature, raging against the dying of the light. We haven't seen the likes of her since the show went off the air.

So. Ms. Getty, Godspeed. And thanks for being Sophia.

1 comment:

Kiva said...

I didn't realize she was so young when she played Sophia. I thought she was in her 80s then, but she was only 84 when she died. She was a great actress to have made Sophia so believable.