Sunday, April 22, 2007

Earth Day 2007



Yeah, Earth!

Water, food, air, rainbows ... what's not to love? (OK. Tsunamis, blizzards, mosquitos ... work with me here.)

Bottom line, we only get one planet. Trash it and we're history. There isn't another one to move to. No benevolent alien race is coming to fix it. No spirit beings will whisk us away from the ashes and ruin, if it comes to that. It's all up to us.

Seems like we shouldn't need to set aside a special day as a reminder, should we.

Now, I'm not a nut about this, but I do keep it in mind. I never bought those kid lunches that consisted of a few crackers and a chunk of cheese encased in obscene amounts of plastic. Ditto the drinks in one-use plastic bottles. I did, however, buy way too many plastic toys and gewgaws, which I do regret.

If I can get meat wrapped in butcher paper instead of in a plastic box, I do. I turn off lights when I leave the room, and I plan to run errands all at once to save gas. I recycle and re-use what I can, and donate anything that's still useful to Goodwill rather than send it to the landfill. I don't let the water run when I brush my teeth.

I also let the laundry and dishes pile up until I can wash full loads, and I vaccuum as little as possible. You know, to save energy. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

In the spirit of the day, here's a link to a site I like: A Better Earth.

No comments: