Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pennies from Heaven


It is said that those who have crossed over sometimes make their presence known to the living by dropping coins in odd places. Strange as it sounds, I think there may be something to it.

Shortly after my favorite aunt passed away in 2001, pennies began to appear around me. I'd leave my desk, and when I'd return, I'd find one right there in front of the keyboard, or on my chair or nearby on the floor. They're always pennies, and they're always dated 2002.

The penny in the photo appeared last night. I walked from my desk to the closet, got some paper, closed the closet door and sat back down here. When I glanced that way again, there was the penny, on the carpet in front of the closet door. I'm sure I would have noticed it, had it been there before.

I've tried to pass this off as coincidence, or just heightened awareness of perfectly ordinary stray change, but ... why is it always only one coin, always a penny, and always dated 2002? On the other hand, why aren't they dated 2001, or maybe 2004 for when my dad died?

For a while, the coins seemed to follow me. When last I visited my brother's home in another state, where my father's ashes are kept in a place of honor by the front door, 2002 pennies began appearing on their doorstep. Oddest of all, when my sister in law and I went out for lunch, she opened her sandwich to add some mustard and there, embedded in the pickle slice, was -- you guessed it -- a penny. That one was dated 2000, but still. What are the odds? (According to the manager of the restauarant, the odds are zero. I'm sure she thought we put it there to get a free lunch.)

It's been about a year since the last penny popped up. Now, with my thoughts lingering so often among the dead, they seem to be reappearing.

I hesitate to post this, as it is both wierd and personal. I guess I'm hoping someone else has had this experience, or can explain it away for me. Any takers?

3 comments:

Carly said...

I believe!

It's so strange you are posting this now, because just last night I was thinking about an experience I had some time ago, with what I call "The Traveler." And about 20 minutes ago, while I was thinking of it, my backdoor opened on it's own. Now I have chills. I believe I have been contacted by lost loved ones, the penny tradition sounds like a comfortable visit for you. :) Thank you for sharing, I am glad it isn't just me. :)

Always, Carly

MyMaracas said...

Thanks so much for your post, Carly, and for sharing! I too am glad to know "it isn't just me."

;-)
Vicki

nitanurse said...

i had heard this long ago, and then my son said they were appearing in his room. i believe.
nita