Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Lost without 'Lost'



I think I'm in withdrawal. What else can you call it, when on Wednesday nights you find yourself sitting all alone in the dark, staring at a blank TV screen, with a little tear trickling down your face.

OK, maybe it's not quite that bad. But ABC's 'Lost' is my favorite guilty pleasure -- and I have a lot of guilty pleasures. (Can a true pleasure not be guilty? A topic for another time.)

The show virtually wallows in my all-time favorite mysteries: The nature of reality, the nature of time, the nature of consciousness, coincidence and synchronicity, and the odd way a chance encounter or a single small event can change the course of one's life -- or the world.

It's got free will vs. destiny, the meaning of life, the butterfly effect, subtle allusions to myth and literature, archetypal characters ... a veritable smorgasbord of Deeply Geeky Goodies.

And we haven't even mentioned The Island itself yet, an apparently conscious, autopoietic system with the power to move people between many worlds. (That's my personal theory. There are others.)

Now you tell me. Where the hell am I going to get a fix of all that between now and the next season?

No comments: