Friday, January 25, 2008

Write post. Hope for comments. Try again.

I'm sitting here with pneumonia. (Yeah, officially pneumonia.) It's the first day since Monday I've felt like being out of bed. From the looks of the back-issues of New York Times Online, I was better off unconscious. I am sorry I missed this from last week, though, at the Well blog there:

Seven-Word Wisdom: The Contest
How much advice can you distill down to seven words?

As it turns out, seven words is a surprisingly catchy way to deliver a message. Just ask writer Michael Pollan, whose book “In Defense of Food” is debuting at No. 1 on The New York Times best-seller list this weekend. (Read my recent interview with him here.) The popularity of the book is due in no small part to Mr. Pollan’s catchy seven-word edict: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.'’

My colleague Dwight Garner, over at the Paper Cuts blog, notes the slogan has a “haiku-like resonance'’ and offers his own versions of 2-3-2 word sequences. My favorite, “Have sex. Really quite often. With humans.” (For the rest, click here.)

Surely this warrants a competition?

It did indeed, so they ran one, and a fine time was had by all. Click here to see the winners.

So had you known about this exercise in time to compete, what wisdom would you have shared in that 2-3-2 form?

4 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

So sorry to read about the pneumonia. Take care of yourself, and feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to see if you'd posted your Round Robin yet. So sorry to hear about the pneumonia! Sure hope you are feeling better!
Hugs, Martha

MyMaracas said...

Hi Karen, hi Martha :-) Thanks for your kind wishes! It's so sweet of you both to check in on me. I'm still flying at half mast, but I'm hoping to make it over to a nearby landmark today to snap a shot or two. Stay tuned ...

Unknown said...

Hope you're feeling better. I had pneumonia once , ouch.

Get better!