Sunday, April 06, 2008

Round Robins: Captions

Have you ever saved a memory without meaning to ... without knowing, at the time, that it would be with you always?

The last time I saw my mother, these tulips were in her room, a gift from my brother and sister-in-law. The bouquet was of humble origin, an impulse purchase from the grocery store on the way to the hospital. In the way of all things removed from their roots, the blooms were dying slowly, inevitably. But on this day they were magnificent.

Everyone who came by--doctors, nurses, guests--remarked on the beauty of these flowers, and Mom acknowledged the compliments with pride. She was, in life, an avid gardener. Irises were her favorites, but she loved anything green and growing.

I had my camera with me, and I offered to take a picture. We scoped out a bare wall, the only one away from the equipment and tubing where the light was adequate. I fiddled with the settings and tried not to shake the camera while she watched and waited. I lay next to her in the narrow bed to show her the results in the view screen, and she was so pleased with the pictures we'd made.

Mom is gone now. I have so many memories of her, of our lives together. Each one is a snapshot, a frozen moment in time. This is one of the last.

In the fall, I believe I will plant pink tulips. I will whisper: Mom, do you see? And then I will wait, and I will remember. And I will hope for spring.

More Photos: Round Robins Photo Shoot
Quote: "Forever is composed of nows." ~ Emily Dickinson

8 comments:

Jan AKA Wammy said...

How lovely. I know that this pictures means a lot to you. And it should. I can just see you and your Mom looking at the camera and talking and choosing just the right picture. A precious memory. She will always be with you, in your heart and in the things that you see, touch, hear,and smell. They are always with us. Little smiles will come back slowly but the memories will be with you always. Enjoy planting your bulbs in the fall. I know she will enjoy them. God Bless.

Carly said...

Hi Vicki

Honey, this isn't sad at all, this is a celebration of life. :) It is a beautiful representation of the love between the two of you. And a lovely tribute to who she was. The caption and the photo are perfect. I am so proud of you and the strength it must have taken to post. Hang in there, call me if you need me.

Love, Carly

Kiva said...

You made me cry (a soothing cry, not a bad cry) and think of my mom-in-law who loved tulips and all flowering things. It's a beautiful photo and made even better by the caption. Your mom should be pleased with such a tribute even now.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Oh, Vicki,

This is wonderful. I sincerely admire the way you've beautifully combined your mom's flowers, your careful photo, a very personal memory and our lighthearted meme thingy into a touching tribute to your mom. Well done!

Molly said...

How true..."Forever is composed of nows." a wonderful quote to describe a beautiful picture.

Molly said...

And your story is touching. You must be pleased to have this memory.

CameraDawktor said...

wow, what a lovely memory and how great that you captured it. those last moments w/ our loved ones captured on film is truly great art. nice job

Anonymous said...

The picture is beautiful Vicki and is a lovely memory of a last moment for you and your mother.