Sunday, June 08, 2008

Into the woods

Into the woods,
It's time to go,
I hate to leave,
I have to, though.
Into the woods-
It's time, and so
I must begin my journey...








Into the woods,
Without delay,
But careful not
To lose the way.
Into the woods,
Who knows what may
Be lurking on the journey?

Into the woods
To get the thing
That makes it worth
The journeying
into the woods.
- Stephen Sondheim

In case anyone is wondering, I am still here, for the moment at least. We're going on vacation, and it's been more than a little bit crazy getting it all together.

We're heading up to the Adirondacks in New York, to a cabin on Indian Lake. There is no phone, no TV, and no Internet up there, so this blog will be on hiatus for a couple of weeks.

This is the first real vacation we've had in six years, and all of us are stoked. We've never used a cabin before, but Hubby and I are just beyond the whole tent-on-the ground thing. I can't wait to trade this treadmill life, at least for a while, for aimless days of hiking and swimming, kayaking and hammock swinging. We'll be checking out Fort Ticonderoga and the Adirondack Museum, too, which should be fun.

I greatly underestimated, however, the amount of money, manpower, and materielle it would take to get from here to there. Let me tell you, the simple life ain't easy - and it ain't cheap, either. In the course of outfitting ourselves, the van, the boat and the cabin we have become a one-family economic stimulus package.

The cat is going to the vet today to be boarded. He knows something's up, and I haven't even gotten the carrier out yet. He is making himself scarce and avoiding eye contact when he slinks by us. He is smarter than he looks.

We'll be on the lake for the full moon and for the summer solstice, which somehow seems very special. It will mean fewer stars to see, and that's a shame. But I can already imagine the moonlight on the water, moonshadows in the woods, and the sense of being poised at the turning of the season.

So. See you in couple of weeks, guys. Keep a light on for me, OK?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely, lovely trip.

Kiva said...

Light's on. Have a wonderful, restful vacation.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope your trip is as wonderful as you have described it here.

The light is on. Tea of coffee? I'm so looking forward to your story of Indian Lake.

Kathy