Saturday, August 09, 2008

Round Robins: Night Shots

The Robins are out and about under the cover of darkness this week. I had high hopes of getting in some learning sessions on this one, but time just plain ran out. We were out this evening looking at some property we're considering, and I snapped a few shots of the night sky before heading for home. The little light in the sky is a firefly.

One thing I did learn from all the dark areas is that I apparently have a couple of hot spots on my sensor, stray pixels that are stuck on red. I've read that this is an issue with the G9, but I didn't think it affected mine. I used the Photoshop program I got for my birthday to heal them. It's the only thing I know how to do with it so far, but it's a dandy trick.

I'm becoming more and more discouraged with my attempts at photography, and more and more disenchanted with this camera. Maybe I should have sprung for an SLR. Or maybe I'm just a really slow learner.

At any rate, there are lots of new entries to see from the other Round Robins participants. Stop by and check 'em out, OK?
*Special thanks to Steven at (Sometimes) Photoblog for this week's topic!

8 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Vicki :)

I am sorry to hear you have been struggling with your photography, because I have always thought you had a really good eye for a photo. I wish I could help in some way, but I do know what it is like to not bond with a camera. Anyway, I really like the photo you posted, it has an eerie quality to it that draws me right in. You live in firefly county, I have never seen a firefly, but they are on my list of "must see." :)

Always, Carly

MyMaracas said...

Thanks, Carly. I think part of my problem is trying to remember how and when to use the settings, and part is that with my poor vision I have to rely on autofocus, which with this camera doesn't give me the crisp edges I want.

It's frustrating not to be able to capture what I'm seeing; my photos rarely match the vision I had when I was composing the shot. Maybe I need to take a class.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Well, I like that shot a lot! I even clicked on it to find the firefly! Don't be discouraged - even if the camera isn't perfect and we lack the patience to learn every function and technique, still come up with lots of cool stuff...!

MyMaracas said...

Thanks for the bucking-up, Karen. I can use it right now.

By the way, the firefly is in the upper left corner, and there's a dimmer one in the lower right corner. They just look like a dot of light in the photo.

Anonymous said...

love the night shot....and girl...i think your photography is great! i've been impressed with everything you've shown and really respect your opinion.
gina

Sandcastle Momma said...

Wow! You might be discouraged with your camera but you got a picture of a firefly! That's like finding a unicorn! I miss fireflies so much (can you tell? LOL) There don't seem to be any around my parts anymore. Sad.
I think your photo turned out great. When I get discouraged with my camera I turn it to auto and then just have fun. I've gotten some pretty good pics that way. Having fun is what it's all about!

MyMaracas said...

Gee, guys, thanks so much for your support and kindness! I didn't realize fireflies were so unusual for you to see. They're all over the place around here. I'll have to try to catch a few and see if I can photograph them for ya.

And Momma, you do have a point. Maybe I'll just stick with Auto for a while and have fun.

Celeste said...

Fireflys are everywhere here. Sometimes I look out and it is like a starry sky in my field.
This shot has that spooky Halloween feel to it.