Monday, September 29, 2008

A Good Fit for Fairies

GiantMushrooms

These mushrooms grow along the pine border in the background of the photo in my last post at Havenwood. They are huge, at least eight to ten inches tall and equally as wide. The day after this was taken, the one in the foreground had a bite out of it, probably nibbled by one of the many deer that come through there every day.

The fields and woods around here are just studded with all kinds of amazing mushrooms. Recent heavy rains have brought in a bumper crop of them, and I simply can't resist a daily foray into the underbrush in search of the exotic and vaguely mysterious little creatures.

Egg Yolk Mushroom

This one and the next are also inhabitants of the pine line. The one above is about three inches tall, shares the edge of the path with the big boys above, and looks like an egg yolk hovering just above the ground. The next one is about six inches tall, and seems to prefer the deep shade back near the tree trunks. See the others in the background?

Amanita Muscaria

Unfortunately, the rains have also increased the mosquito population to nearly intolerable levels. As long as I keep up a brisk walk, I'm relatively safe. But within seconds of stopping for a photograph I am enveloped in a stabbing, buzzing swarm. The last outing cost me 16 new bites. Totally worth it:

TinyCapMushroom

Is this cute, or what. It's only about an inch high, and is growing all alone in the middle of a mossy path around the pond. Deeper in the woods, these mottled brown fellows grow among the roots of oaks and beeches...

Brown Bitten Mushroom

Apparently, given all the bites around the edges, some small animal finds them tasty. Below, on an old rotting log, these fragile, ethereal beauties jostle for light like a flight of angels hurrying home to Heaven.

Ethereal Mushrooms

It is difficult to pay attention to camera settings while being eaten alive, so these could be better, I'm sure. Dedication to the perfect shot only carries me so far. But these are my favorites so far, and I hope you like them too.

There is so much work to be done here, and running off to the woods with a camera while cabinets need scrubbing would have been unthinkable a short while ago. However, under my new set of priorities, pleasurable pursuits trump domestic duties. Because I say so.

4 comments:

Kiva said...

I definitely like the results of your new set priorities. I've never seen so many different types of mushrooms in one single area. I especially like the orange color on that one mushroom. Do you think the mosquitoes were actually fairies teasing you?
Motherly nag: If they were mosquitoes, you better get some insect repellent with Deet in it. It's not good to be bitten. They carry all sort of nasty things including West Nile.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Those are fantastic shots! I love mushrooms - they come in so many shapes, sizes and colors and there is something magical about them.
And good for you for claiming fun before domestic duties. Unless the Queen is coming I say get out there and have fun - the dust will wait!

MyMaracas said...

Kiva, I'm glad you liked the photos. However, if those swarms were fairies, they were fairies from hell. I din't really think about them carrying West Nile. You're right, I need to cover up and douse in Deet. Thanks for the reminder!

Momma, thanks! I'm happy that you like mushies too. And I love that line about the Queen. I'm not expecting her any time soon, so I can let the good times roll.

;-)

Anonymous said...

How cool! And, wow, ten inches... I don't think I've ever seen such a large shroom! I can almost see the fairies dancing in the first one :-)